Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Author Book Picks: Megan Bostic

Stopping by today is Never Eighteen author Megan Bostic to talk about some of her favorite books. Yeah, a hard topic to narrow down for, but it's always interesting to see what authors love!


Favorite books? How much time do you have? I’ll name a few: To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Beet Queen, The Crucible, and Fahrenheit 451. I could go on and on, so I’ll stop there.

As far as recommendations, reading time is scarce these days, so I’m going to just mention a couple books I’ve read the last few years that have impacted me greatly.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This book stayed with me for a long while. I always describe it as tragic beauty. After I read it, I knew I wanted to write contemporary realistic fiction. That’s when I wrote Never Eighteen. I can’t wait for the movie.

Deadline by Chris Crutcher. I read this because it seemed similar in theme to Never Eighteen. Admittedly, it was the first Chris Crutcher book I’d read and I loved it. The characters were all very real to me. I can’t wait to read more of his books.

Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach. This was a 2011 debut. I was blown away. Geoff’s protagonist, Felton, has a voice so unique and well written; I fell in love with him instantly. The supporting characters were quirky and funny, but thoughtful as well. It’s one of my favorites from this year.

Popular by Alissa Grosso. Another 2011 debut, this one surprised me. Do not judge the book by its name. This is a story with many layers and Alissa wrote it well. So many unique characters, but they’re all people we’ve probably met along our journeys. The ending will knock your socks off.

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. Can I just say “Oh my god!?” This is one of those books you don’t want to read, but can’t put down. My daughter and I both read it in a day. It’s a disturbing story that had to be told.

My personal library is eclectic. Aside from all the books I’ve mentioned above, on my shelf you’ll find a lot of Stephen King, probably my favorite writer ever. I love mysteries from Dennis Lehane and Harlan Coben. The Harry Potter series is a given, as well as Twilight.

I’ve got a shelf of classic poetry, Dickinson, Whitman, Blake, Wordworth, Keats, etc. I’ve got some random contemporary novels that include Kite Runner, Lovely Bones, Wicked, Life of Pi, and so many more.

I have three or four shelves dedicated to YA, one of those shelves solely Class of 2k11 books. I also have a shelf of books from people I met through the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest, a couple I’d highly recommend are Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan, Greyhound, by Steffan Piper, and Bloodroot by Bill Loehfelm.

Once again, I could go on and on. I don’t think you can ever have too many books. Maybe someday I’ll have the time to read them all.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know we had FAHRENHEIT 451 in common! I loved STUPID FAST, too. It was hilarious and tender all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for recommending Popular, Megan! I feel honored to be in such illustrious company. I'm looking forward to finally getting the chance to read Never Eighteen!

    ReplyDelete