Thursday, July 7, 2011

Character Interview: Gio from A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie

It's one thing to send questions knowing what character the author is replying as... it's something else, and maybe far more fun, to send in questions without knowing who you're interviewing, and I have to say, A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie author Matt Blackwell did a fantastic job picking a character to answer my random questions. And with that, meet Gio: an afro-puffed, lingo-inventing, smooth-talking, poetic soul who befriends Rene, the protagonist with OCD, and tutors him the art of playing it cool.


Growing up, who did you look up to the most?

Bob Dylan. Singer, songwriter, and poet. Now, I know he can a bit whiney, and I admit that he’s been with a few too many ladies, but the man is a genius. And, like me, he is a great hair haver. At least he used to be.

You're locked in a room with a dragon! What do you do?

Tell him to get off my biscuit!

If he still doesn’t leave me alone, and refuses to be a nice dragon, then I will tame him?

How will I tame him? Duh, haven’t you seen Shrek?
 
If you could plan your perfect date, what would happen?

I’ll take her to a spoken word event. I will be a late addition to the list of performers. And my spoken word poem will be about how much I love her, how her voice melts into butterscotch pudding, how she makes me king of all territories—both foreign and domestic, as well as scholastic—and the last stanza will be a marriage proposal.

Then we’ll take a stroll to a park, where I’ll serenade her with Spanish guitar. Yes, I will also be singing my spoken word poem, from the top of my lungs. And yes, my lungs are tall, like my hair, which she will be massaging as I sing because she is a professional masseuse.

Also, I will smell like a fresh Colorado stream as this is happening.

What god/goddess would be your nemesis?

Zeus. What a showoff. His arrogance gives me the creeps.
 
What kind of cookie would you describe yourself as?

A snickerdoodle, because who doesn’t like the sound of “snickerdoodle?” Seriously, if you don’t like the sound of snickerdoodle, it’s about time you received help. If you don’t know who to turn to, put up an ad on Craigslist that says, “Please help; I no longer feel joy or laughter.”

Now, I have an easy time relating to a snickerdoodle because I do feel joy, and I’ve been known to inspire laughter. Not always laugh out laugh laughter (LOLL), but laughter. And I’m known for words, like snickerdoodle, that make people smile: “b’noodles,” and “brotherman,” to name two. B’noodles is a unique and cool word that means “unique” and “cool.” Brotherman means . . . well, you’ll just have to read Rene and my story. 


Thank you, Matt and Gio, for sharing those answers, and congrats on the release!

Make sure you guys all check out A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie and meet Gio and the rest of the great cast of characters! Also be sure to check out Matt's website and his twitter!


1 comment:

  1. Haha, Gio sounds like a fun character. The book that he's from sounds cool (and certainly looks cool--that cover!!!) so I'll be on the lookout for it. :)

    ReplyDelete