Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Droolworthy Upcoming Books

Once again, I've been lucky in the reading department lately, and have had the chance to read ARCs of upcoming books that just totally blew me away. Since my reviews for all of these won't be coming for awhile, here's some quick reasons why you need to add them to your lists pronto and drool over how much you want them.


Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger: This book is hilarious. There is such a natural wit, even with all the rougher, more emotional stuff. Shannon straddles that line perfectly, and totally drew me in from the start. I love Vane. He's that bumbling, awkward, but totally sweet guy you want to hug, and will also have you laughing out loud. Audra is just as fabulous, with a more dry sort of humor to her and a lot on her plate. The characters are stunning in this one, but so is the execution and plot, and I absolutely cannot wait for more.

If I Lie by Corrine Jackson: This book is totally emotional, and kind of breaking, but also so beautiful. It's one of those books that, I think, nearly everyone will react differently too, due mainly from how Corrine has set all of it up. Characters that I didn't like, others will empathize with better with, and I really love that about this book. But mostly, I love how it all plays out, the potency in some of the scenes, and the way Corrine doesn't hold back. I ached so much reading this one, yet I couldn't stop turning the pages. This book is utterly breathtaking.


The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken: I finished this one a few days ago, and I am still in shock. In some ways, this book totally broke my heart. But more than that, it totally made me think, and I think Alexandra has done an exceptional job of weaving together existing concepts and notions into something that is truly all her own, and something that packs a powerful punch at that. The characters are fantastic, the romance soft yet totally believable, and the story line well paced and intriguing. Add in the solid writing, and the humor that is perfectly placed, and this is a knock out book.

34 Pieces of You by Carmen Rodrigues: You know those books where every part of just aches, because the characters are such a mess, and it's almost a trainwreck, and you know they might not come out of things okay? This is one of those books, and I couldn't put it down. Carmen alternates not only in the perspective, but in the timeline as well, building this story that will both tear you apart and put you back together. I absolutely love these characters, how messy they are, how lost at times they are, and I really appreciate the stunning realism that is on every page of this book.

Dualed by Elsie Chapman: West is totally one of my favorite characters ever. She has such a strong drive in her, even when she's seemingly breaking apart. I think Elsie did a truly amazing job with the characterization in this book, but also with the concept and it's execution. It's in a world that, in a lot of ways, is easy to believe and understand, even though it's far different from our own. But what really got me with this one, truly, was how well Elsie played out the notion of which Alt should live, which one deserves to live, and what qualities go into that deserving to live. Breeding a nation of killers is the ultimate goal, but Elsie quietly explores the implications of that without taking away from the bigger plot. This book had me gripped, and played out in a fantastic way.

Burning Blue by Paul Griffin: I love mysteries, and this one did not disappoint. I also completely love Jay. He is a loner, even if partly by choice, yet he's also this amazing hacker. He has an interesting view on the world, and this huge heart that just totally made me melt. He's awkward at times, but perfectly smooth at others, and he's just that perfect blend that will get to you. The mystery part of this story also had an amazing execution, with some huge twists and a ton of clues left while still leaving readers unable to totally piece things together. This is a book I couldn't put down, and was sad to see the characters go at the end of it.


So those are the books that I totally recommend to everyone! Click the links of the titles to add them to your Goodreads shelves so you don't forget.

And because this post wouldn't be complete without some books that I am currently drooling for, here are ones that I definitely hope to get my hands on soon!

Crash and Burn by Michael Hassan: This book just totally grabbed me from the short summary listed in the Harper catalog, and I cannot wait for it. I expect this one to totally break me apart, and pack a huge punch, but to also be breathtaking and amazing.




Pivot Point by Kasie West: There is something about this one that just has me completely enamored. I completely love the idea of different futures, but more importantly, that though the main character can Search them, and even live them out, she ultimately has to choose. I am so excite for this one in a huge way.


Nobody but Us by Kristin Halbrook: This one is dual POV, which is a total favorite of mine. I love this cover. But mostly, I think this one is just going to be so raw, and honest, and utterly amazing. I love the notion of Zoe wanting to save Will, and Will wanting to save Zoe. I want to know what they need to be saved from, and I want to know what happens. Not to mention, there's a road trip. I love road trip books.

My Beautiful Failure by Janet Ruth Young: I LOVE the concept of this one. Teen boy working at a suicide hotline, and falls for a caller? This has potential heartbreak written all over it, and I totally love that kind of story line. I think this one is going to tackle suicide from a different perspective, and I am so excited to see it play out.



So those are some of the books I need in my life like my dog needs his toys. And if anyone wants to help a girl out.... that would be much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Kari, WOW. Thank you so much for including me on this incredible list! And I'm so very happy you liked DUALED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read The Darkest Minds. All of these look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, these all sound amazing! I'm going to add them all to my wishlist right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty much looking forward to all of these! So many different storylines and amazing covers! I can't wait until they're actually released and I have a chance to read them for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for Pivot Point, Let The Sky Fall, Burning Blue, Dualed, and The Darkest Minds! I can't wait to dive right into them once they come out!

    ReplyDelete