Monday, May 21, 2012

Droolworthy Upcoming Books

I've been on a reading tear lately, and have read several upcoming books that I won't be posting the review for since it's still so early. With how busy I've been lately, reading tear aside, I haven't done my usual mini reviews either. So this post is an even mini-er mini review set, all about upcoming books that blew my mind, with a few that I haven't yet read but am positive will be amazing thrown in.


The Program by Suzanne Young: I love Suzanne. You guys know this. I swear everything she writes is total crack for me, and has such depth and emotions to it that generally, I ache. The Program is no different. It's an amazing story with absolutely stunning characters, and some seriously hot kiss scenes.

Altered by Jenn Rush: Hot. Boys. Times four. Seriously, the chances of you not falling for at least one of these boys is basically slim to none. But it's not just the boys. The entire story is just. Wow. So many twists, so many turns. Clues that are just frigging amazing. It's a stunningly woven story, and I absolutely cannot wait for book 2.

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger: This one is, technically, a middle grade. It doesn't matter, except that means those of you with younger kids have another awesome book you can share with them. This book is, in a word, epic. The scope and span, the ideas and the worldbuilding the execution and the characters. All of it. This book truly blew my mind and stunned me and left me in absolutely awe of Shannon. So even if you usually shy away from MG, do yourself a favor, and don't let this one pass you by.

Hidden by Sophie Jordan: A perfectly done and beautiful ending to one of my favorite series. Sophie pretty much just keeps throwing unexpected things at you, and pulls you in with the writing... and the HOT kisses. Yum.


Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas: I am not too big on high fantasy. I'm also not usually too big on historical. But then I read Throne of Glass, and those facts did not matter. This one isn't set in any specific period, and though there's hints of the high fantasy stuff, at least in this first installment, it's muted. But the story? Oh. My. God. So freaking amazing. So beautifully executed. And the characters. I have so much love for Sarah's characters. They have such deeply woven character arcs, changing in small ways that add up to big changes that are palpable. I absolutely cannot wait for more from Sarah. I'm addicted now.


Personal Effects by E.M. Kokie: I've been dying for this book for awhile now. I mean, male POV. Dead army brother. Sorrow and hurt and all that good stuff that I love? Yes. Please. And let me say, this one lived up to my hopes and then some. It is fabulously well written, with a totally gutting but amazing character arc.

Butter by Erin Jade Lange: This one is a totally morbid concept, and honestly, there are so many ways this book could have failed. But it doesn't, at all. I loved Butter's character, I loved the story, I loved the depth of everything. Butter is not a stereotypical fat kid, nor is he just so drawn into himself that he can't see anything but the bad stuff (despite the whole suicide thing). There is a stellar character arc to him, and add in the wit he has, and he's a fabulous character.

Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt: Besides the fact that I fell in love with Tiffany's writing, what really dragged me in with this book is the fact that, yes, Mia gets cancer, but it's not really a cancer book. Sure, having to deal with it, and go through the treatments, and the fear is definitely in there. But it's also this girl still trying to keep her life together, trying to figure stuff out. There's romance and pain and heartbreak, but hope and beauty and fun. This is a perfect mix of feel good and tear your heart out.



So those are books forthcoming that pretty much sent me into a frenzy. And most of those are ones that, from reading the summary, I just knew it would be for me. So here's a few upcoming books that I feel the same way about, that I cannot wait to get my hands on and would totally use Toby in nefarious ways to get.

Flawed by Kate Avelynn: I expect so much dark intensity and pain and heartbreak and horror and more pain from this book. I mean, come on. Her brother promises to protect her, but she can never leave him? Psychological devastation here I come.

Taken by Erin Bowman: I've been drooling over this one for over a year now. I've seen some of Erin's beta readers gush and gush on twitter. The story sounds amazing, and the characters sound so appealing. And okay, I totally love the name Gray. There is just something so inherently sexy about it. So if I had to pick a number one book of 2013, this would be it.

The Patron Saint of Beans by Emily Murdoch: So, word on the street, or from Emily on twitter, is that this one is getting a new title, but since it's yet to be released, I'm going with the old one. Because man, I so want this book! Let's ignore my love of the title since that's moot soon. This entire premise has just... completely grabbed and captivated me. This one just sounds like one of those books that might shove a knife in your gut, but it'll also stitch you back up so tightly that you're euphoric.

The Collector by Victoria Scott: "Dante Walker is flippin’ awesome, and he knows it." Um. I want to know all about it too. I mean, okay, so he's a demon, and a soul collector. I pretty much don't care. I want to meet this boy, and learn all about him, and see what he does. My excitement over this book is ridiculous. And having to wait is even more ridiculous.
Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger: I'm already a Shannon fangirl after reading Keeper, but this one is her YA. And it's dual male and female POV. And you guys know how much I freaking love male POV. And the story itself just sounds seriously amazing. So if someone wanted to steal this one for me and make it magically appear in my hands, I wouldn't be opposed.

4 comments:

  1. Strange prevalence of dandelions...

    I love The Program cover! It's so striking. I've never read a Suzanne Young book (need to get on that....) but I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many great books to look forward to. They all sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww, how did I miss this yesterday? Thank you so much, Kari. I can't believe I'm among such amazing company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me smile to see your coverage of Patron Saint! : )

    Sniffles, still, on the title change, but I promise the new title is great, too. And I remembered what you said on twitter, about how you love to find out as you read what the title means and how it fits in to the story ... so during the copy edits I just finished, I added something in to make that happen. : )

    Thanks so much for the book love! It's very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete