Monday, August 9, 2010

Author Interview: Angie Frazier

She's created a great historical novel. She's given us a sexy Irish Sailor. She's even brought to life a strong heroine. Now, she's stopping by my little blog to answer some questions. Welcome the awesome Angie Frazier, author of Everlasting.


Although a large part of Camille's love for the sea came from being raised by a captain father, do you think, in that time period, you'd be as willing to spend months as the only girl on a boat?

I don’t think I could have swung months at sea, but not because I’d be the only girl on a ship filled with men. **waggles eyebrows deviously** The true conditions of ship life would never have suited me. Terrible food, scary storms, cramped cabins. I prefer to live vicariously through Camille!

You're boat just sunk and you managed to survive. In two opposite directions, you see your father and the boy you love even if you aren't engaged to him. Which do you save first?

I would save my father first. It would be a terrible decision to have to make, but family always comes first for me.

As you know, I really appreciated the range of characters you included, along with how much depth they had even if a side character. Which character, apart from Oscar and Camille, was the most interesting for you to develop and write?

For Everlasting, I had the most fun with Ira Beam, their Australian sidekick. He was charming and funny and very rough around the edges. For the second book (no official title just yet!) there were two characters I very much enjoyed exploring more deeply. Samuel becomes a complex character who I both love and detest. And the other character shall remain a surprise!!

If you could pair Camille and Oscar with any character from any book, who would you pick for them?

Oooh, so tough!! I think Oscar would adore Mary Quinn from Y.S. Lee’s A SPY IN THE HOUSE. She has a sketchy background (as Oscar does) and she’s stubborn and brave (which he seems to take to!).

For Camille, I’d love to see her try and tame Gabriel St. John, the libertine Marquess of Ralston from Sarah MacLean’s adult romance, NINE RULES TO BREAK WHEN ROMANCING A RAKE! Now that would be fun!

What songs would you correlate to Camille, Oscar, Ira and Lucius?

Music is so not my forte. I think this should be a contest question! Whoever can come up with the best “theme music” for each character will win something!

What is the most private thing you're willing to share here?

When I first wrote Oscar’s character, he was much older than 19. He was in his early 30s, actually and he had a completely different history than what I rewrote for the final version of the book. That Oscar is still the Oscar in my head and I have a very hard time thinking of him as a 19-year-old. So I feel like I have my own Oscar, and everyone else has another. Very odd!

What kind of cake or confection would you describe yourself as?

Mmmmm, pastries! I don’t have any reasoning behind this, but I see myself as an apple Danish. Simply because I love them and that’s what I’d want to be if I was going to be a pastry.


Thanks so much, Angie! I'll have to consider your contest pitch there.... and your own Oscar? Sexy... but not fair. Though I admit, I am rather fond of the one you've given us... *swoons*

Make sure you guys check this book out if you haven't yet! Even for those of you who tend to shy away from historical fiction, this one is great!

3 comments:

  1. Great interview with Angie, she rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds like it's right up my alley... AND this interview totally rocks and is making me want to read it more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Everlasting this weekend and love it! I borrowed it from the library, but I am going to buy my own copy soon. Oscar is definitely one of my favorite male YA fiction characters!

    ReplyDelete