Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Character Interview: Kat from Kiss the Morning Star

Dropping in today is a lively character from a great read: Kat from Elissa Janine Hoole's debut Kiss the Morning Star. Trust me, you don't want to miss this book, and Kat is hilarious. So let's meet her!



Describe Anna in three words.

Ha! How can I limit myself to only three? I mean, I would say she’s beautiful and brilliant and sexy as hell, but that would only make her blush, so I’ll go with cautious, independent, and so freaking strong.

What was the best part of the road trip?

I’ll tell you what. Nothing on this entire trip matters except for this—Anna driving, me sitting here drawing with my feet up on the dash, and I look over at her, you know. Out of the corner of my eye, so she doesn’t know I’m looking. And there she is, for the first time in forever, looking like herself again. She lights up, when she’s not thinking about it, when she’s not worrying. The best part of this road trip is getting my best friend back, one mile at a time, watching her come back to life.

So. A bear. What was facing that like?

Dude, that was the most intensely scary moment of my life. What were we even doing out there? Here we are, like a million miles out in the wilderness, and this crazy shaggy beast is all swinging his head back and forth and charging straight at us—his breath was snorting out right at us, and I just froze. I’m standing there, completely vulnerable, and I thought we were dead. We probably would have been, if Anna hadn’t taken charge. She’s like a superhero or something. Bear Girl. I don’t ever want to hear the word backpacking again in my life.

What’s the best kiss you’ve ever had?

Under the bear grass, definitely. The light of the sun shining through those white blossoms and Anna kneeling there with her eyes squeezed shut so lovely and frightened and hungry…I won’t ever forget that.

What kind of dinosaur would you describe yourself as?

I don’t feel like a dinosaur, at least not like any dinosaurs I can remember. They seem so heavy and solemn, or else vicious and cold. I’m warm-blooded, you know? Are there any dinosaurs that like to dance? I’ll be that one, if there are. 


Thank you, Kat, for stopping in and congrats, Elissa on the upcoming release!

Kiss the Morning Star hits shelves May 15, so be sure to keep your eye out for it!


1 comment: