Thursday, May 17, 2012

Books to Reread

I admit, that though I buy a ton of books, many of which I read as ARCs and then buy the finished copy, it is not very often that I actually reread the book. I buy them not only to support the author, but because I love having them on my shelf, and because then I can easily loan them out. Both of my best friends get a new stack of books every time I see them, so the books get used, discussed, passed on even beyond them.

But every now and then, there is a book that stands out to me so phenomenally, gets inside my heart and head so fully, that I not only am unable to stop thinking about it for days, weeks even, after I've finished, but I'll reread it. So this post is all about the books that have affected me so intensely that they've been reread.



Where She Went by Gayle Forman: I was drooling for this book and ignored everything else to immediately read it the day I got it. A few months went by, and every now and then, my thoughts would go back to it. Finally, I caved, and sat down and read it again. And fall in love all over again. With the story, with Adam, with the voice. But mostly, with the emotions and intensity and true gutting I felt as I read it, as I suffered right alongside Adam. And okay, so I wanted that amazing release and feeling of total satisfaction that came at the end of the book.

A Need so Beautiful by Suzanne Young: This book is so different from so much else. Suzanne is hands down one of my favorite authors, and I've read Need a total of three times. I've read the sequel, A Want so Wicked that comes out next month, about four times, and will absolutely read it again once it's published. Actually, I will probably read the two back to back, because the story just gets to me that much.



Something Like Normal by Trish Doller: I know, it's not even out yet. I don't care. I read it straight through in one sitting. Reread the next day. And reread my favorite parts repeatedly for the next week or so. I couldn't pick up anything else after I finished this one. Once it's officially released, and my preorder gets to me, I will most definitely be reading it, again. This is a book that broke me apart in more than one way, fixed me a little and shattered me all over again. I cried, more than once, reading this book, and fully intend to break every time I reread it.

In Honor by Jessi Kirby: I. Adore. This. Book. And Rusty. He is easily one of my favorite male characters ever. But it's not just Rusty, though I maybe love the scene where he drives in just his boxers a little too much. It's the overall feel of this one, the emotions, the... pain. Yet, despite the grief that is splashed so heavily in the characters, there is such an intense note of hope and healing. This one broke me, but in a different way than Something Like Normal did, and there really is nothing quite like having a book tear you apart and piece you back together.




Freefall by Mindi Scott: Total favorite, right here. I read it as an ARC, as a finished copy, and I won a totally marked up copy from Mindi that made me read the book twice more - once to see all of her comments, and once because I got so into the comments I only glanced at what they referenced but it made me want to fall back into the book all over again. There is something so... boy... about Seth's mindset. So simple, so amazingly well done. Seth is an awesome character, and this is the epitome of just trying to figure crap out and make your way in the world. Add in the romance, and teh sweetness that surrounsd it, and this book. Love.



Those are the main books that stand out, off the top of my head, as worthy of a reread. But there are a few others that I know, soon enough, will worm their way back into my head and I'll sit back down with them:



The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour: This is a book that, honestly, I do not know how to properly explain my love for it. It's the whole package, amazing characters, a stellar storyline, and a stunning voice. I felt so much while I read this one, yet I kept laughing throughout it too.

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock: Hot werewolf boys FTW. But this is more than a werewolf book. It's more than a book with a love triangle (do not let that turn you off. Trust me. It's a realistic, well done, natural one). This book is a clusterf*** of brilliant twists and shocking turns, of character pain and hope.




Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma: This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. It is the epitome of atmospheric writing. Of there being something just not quite right. This is one of those books that, sure, has a twist at the end, yet you kind of predict it... because you're meant to. But mostly, this book just wrapped around every part of me so much that even now, a year later, I still remember details, and still ache for it.

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins: Apart from the fact that I have an intense amount of love for the hot hot hot boy in this book, this is one of those whole package books. Sure, some parts might seem cliche, but Wendy twists it to something different, plays it into a great overall story... but the characters. Wow. They shine. They are so intense. So engaging. So... hurt. This book made me ache, and made me want to punch something.



Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard: This is a style of writing I will never be able to accomplish, and honestly, reading what Kirsten can do, maybe I don't want to try. But apart from the amazing writing and stunning setting, the story of this one had such a soft intensity to it that... honestly? I did not notice the lack of romance. Gasp. I know. No hot boy, and I was unable to put it down. That is how amazing this book is. You will not miss the lack of romance, because the relationship between Grace and Mandarin is so amazing that romance isn't needed.


So what books have gotten to you so much that, despite all the amazing books waiting to be read, you pull it back out and reread?

10 comments:

  1. Some great choices! A Need So Beautiful is one I picked up on impulse and, wow, it was so haunting, I still find myself thinking about it, months later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own half of these books and I haven't red them yet. I loved this post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on each one. I am looking forward to reading all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I haven't read any of these books! :) You surely made me want to though! Love the way you write about each one.

    It's been a long time since I've reread a book. I think the last one was Harry Potter, I reread all of them two years ago. Too much to read and too little time, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved WHERE SHE WENT too. I haven't read many of the others. I'll add them to my list.

    I've read THE HUNGER GAMES and HARRY POTTER books several times. I also find myself going back to Shannon Hale's GOOSE GIRL and PRINCESS ACADEMY. And I think I've read everything by Roald Dahl at least 2 or 3 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Wendy and I LOVE her book!
    Freefall is one of my all-time favs, and I don't re-read books often, but I've read that one three times.
    Great pics here!
    And a bunch of them are WAY high on my TBR.
    I just finished Being Friends With Boys, and that one will definitely get re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Hemlock and Sweet evil too. I do also enjoy Gayle's book too.
    Its been a while since I have reread something

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I've had some samples sent to my Kindle. I'm really interested in IN HONOR and SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL, which I requested from NetGalley! :)

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for some of these recommendations! I love Where She Went and Freefall - I haven't read the other books you mentioned, but now they're definitely going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For Like Mandarin...I felt like there was a romance. A romance with the badlands and Grace and Mandarin, a romance between Grace and Mandarin, and there's definitely something there on Grace's part. It's not even in a scandalous way, it's all just beautiful and that's part of why I really enjoyed it.

    This is an awesome list! I've actually re-read If I Stay like 3 times and have still only read Where She Went once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am a rereading machine. I love to read books again, which is why I own so many. I get rid of them if I don't think there's a chance of a reread down the road. Part of why I love to reread is that I have a terrible memory, so the experience can be brand new by the time I do read again. :-p

    I also feel like that second read is when I REALLY know how good the book is.

    ReplyDelete