Sunday, December 19, 2010

Author Holiday Extravaganza: Lisa Schroeder

And the extravaganza continues, with another recipe! As if pretzels and homemade pumpkin pie wasn't enough, now we're really into the holiday spirit with sugar cookies! I hand the reigns over to Lisa Schroeder to share her favorite recipe, and she's even offered up some The Day Before bookmarks to two lucky commenters!


When I was in fourth and fifth grade, my friend Laurie and I would spend a whole day of winter break doing nothing but baking cookies. Her mom had a sugar cookie recipe that I LOVED, and for years, I tried recipe after recipe trying to find one that reminded me of her mom's.

Finally, five years or so ago, I found it in The Oregonian. These have a delicate crunch that melts on the tongue and an addictive vanilla-almond flavor that I love. They taste just as great plain as they do frosted. It's now a tradition for me to make these cookies, and then my kids help decorate them.

Mary's Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 cup butter at room temp (don't use margarine)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix sugar and butter. Add egg, vanilla and almond extract; mix thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together and blend in. Refrigerate 2-3 hours or overnight. (Dough will be VERY hard, but it softens up quickly and still gets sticky - use *lots* of flour on the board or mat).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll 1/4 inch think on floured pastry cloth (I don't have one of those!) Cut with cookie cutter and sprinkle with sugar (or leave plain if you are going to decorate with frosting and sprinkles later). Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake 7-8 minutes or until delicately golden.

Easy Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tablespoons half-and-half

Merry Christmas! Eat lots of cookies!!


Thank you, Lisa, for sharing that recipe! And now for those of you Lisa Schroeder fans, I have some bookmarks for her upcoming 2011 release The Day Before to give away. 2 comments will be chosen randomly after 12/26.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe, I'll have to try it out this week. I collect bookmarks so I'd love to have some of Lisa's. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Stay Safe.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cookies looks delicious. Can you believe the year 2010 is almost over haha I like the saying out with the old and in with the new :)


    khyla_808ATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look yum.
    Bookmarks!!!!! *hyperventilates* I NEED Bookmarks. I LAV Bookmarks!!! (I'm mostly sane though, don't worry...;)
    rivkarno1(At)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking today that I needed a great, easy cookie recipe to make Christmas cookies with my niece this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy, I look forward to making cookies with my toddler, 1 more year and it will be perfect.

    LisaS has become a favourite author of mine this year, I would love to win the bookmarks.

    marceblogspot(at)hotmail(dot)com

    I look forward to her new release next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookehs... yummm :9 sugar cookies are my favorite! I'll have to try this recipe (or force someone to make them for me, hah!)

    Thanks to Lisa for sharing this delicious-looking recipe & for the bookmarks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the sugar cookie recipe! I've been looking for a new one because the one I used last I didn't like so much.

    I loved your book I Heart You, You Haunt Me, I cried the WHOLE time!

    Thanks for the shot at winning!

    jacindahinten(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. the cookies look so cute and delicious. I wonder its taste

    aleetha.ally at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Cookies look Delicious :D

    I'm going to try them out , tommorow :D
    lol, i think i may have to emty my schedule for tommorow in favor of cookie making :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh very nice Cookies... hummmmm
    I want so much =D

    Very good your book.. It's shame that no release here :-/

    dani.fuller[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete