Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton, coming April 26, 2011 from Random House.

Summary: For Nick Pardee and Silla Kennicot, the cemetery is the center of everything.

Nick is a city boy angry at being forced to move back to the nowhere town of Yaleylah, Missouri where he grew up. He can’t help remembering his mom and the blood magic she practiced – memories he’s tried for five years to escape. Silla, though, doesn’t want to forget; her parents’ apparent murder-suicide left her numb and needing answers. When a book of magic spells in her dad’s handwriting appears on her doorstep, she sees her chance to unravel the mystery of their deaths.

Together they plunge into the world of dark magic, but when a hundred-year-old blood witch comes hunting for the bones of Silla’s parents and the spell book, Nick and Silla will have to let go of everything they believe about who they are, the nature of life and death, and the deadly secrets that hide in blood.

My Thoughts: Parents dead in a murder-suicide. Blood magic. Mysterious spell books. Yep. This one seems to have plenty of great elements from the premise alone and I can't wait to see how they're all combined. I'm definitely curious what secrets are held throughout this book, and about the blood magic angle. Add in the creep factor of the cover, mixed with its mysterious intrigue and the contrasting colors, and it's definitely one I would grab off the shelf.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this before but I think I might be adding it to my ever increasing wishlist lol. Good choice for Waiting on Wednesday.
    Trillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cover around and admit that it is truly lovely! Very mysterious like!

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I'm really looking forward to this one too! The premise sounds great and the cover is beautiful, and I bet the story will be just as great as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this one before. I agree with Jessica though, the cover is really nice.

    Sniffly Kitty
    Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books
    Btw, I'm starting a new meme called Third Sentence Thursdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great - love the title! Thanks for sharing this and for the great review. You might also enjoy Blood, Money, Power by Michele Marie Tate, which is a historical fiction and murder mystery that begins in the 1920s and follows three generations of a family involved in a world of drugs, diamond smuggling and an international mafia. It was so good I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete