Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Someone Else's Life by Katie Dale, coming April 2, 2012 from Simon & Schuster.

Summary: When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all...


My Thoughts: I am a total sucker for books centered around family secrets, and this one hits right with that so well. I love the Huntington's aspect, and also why Trudie ends up finding out the truth about her mom. Then there's the fact that she hitches with her ex, and I am so curious to see how that element plays out. But mostly, I want to know the secrets, and how Trudie handles them. This one seems so promising to be emotional and intense but maybe have some fun in it too. I love the tagline on this one, as well as the cover, and I absolutely can't wait.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the spotlight - sounds just like my kind of book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great WoW pick. This is the first I have heard of this one so I will have to add it to my TBR list. It sounds like my kind of book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks so good! I haven't heard of that book yet, but I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list! Thanks so much for sharing this one!!

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is new to me and sounds good to me too!

    Our WOW pick is at Book Sake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds super good and I agree with all of your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds great! I'll have to add it to my to-read list.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm..... I am very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on family secrets, but it also sounds like a character-self discovery sort of book. If it is, I'm definitely picking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! This looks compelling! *adds to ever-growing list* Thanks for sharing!

    My WoW: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/08/www-10-and-waiting-on-wednesday-august.html

    Also, check out my new meme, Before the Blog: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/08/before-blog-3-named-by-marianne-curley.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this cover! Great post and happy Saturday. I hope you’re having an awesome weekend!

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete