Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is The List by Siobhan Vivian, coming April 1, 2012.

Summary: An intense look at the rules of high school attraction-and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two.



My Thoughts: I loved Not That Kind of Girl, and this is definitely an autobuy author for me. The concept of this one, though, just sounds so awesome. I love the raw truth in it, and the inherent pain that will come along. It's such a cruel thing, to vote someone as the ugliest, but we all know that even if it isn't outwardly done, it's something that goes through a lot of people's thoughts. I think Siobhan will do this entire idea justice, and twist readers right into it perfectly. As for the cover, I love it's simplicity, and that while there is a group of girls, the focus is on one. 

12 comments:

  1. I've read Vivian's Same Difference and liked it a lot, so I'm excited for this book as well! Awesome choice this week. :)

    -Sophia
    The Book Basement
    My WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've heard of this one, sounds like a good contemporary. Here is our WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really good book! Great pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my TBR shelf too! We had a "List" at my middle school (they start early...) and it caused all kinds of drama!

    Following



    My WoW @ DuLivre

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I've seen this book (as far as I can remember =) Looks good and unique too among others I've seen today.

    Here's my Waiting On Wednesday

    New follower,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just featured this last week as my WoW pick. So excited for it since I loved Not That Kind of Girl, and this just sounds awesome. Great pick, Kari! :)

    Check out my Waiting on Wednesday picks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently got a copy of Not That Kind of Girl, although I haven't read it yet. This new book sounds really good; the premise reminds me of an episode of My So-Called Life that I loved. I've heard nothing by good things about Siobhan Vivian's books; I know I'll love them, too.

    New follower, BTW. Hi there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely want to read this one too. Sound awesome. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't heard of this one or the author, then again I'm not one for contemporary. Hope you enjoy it though when it releases!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good. Thanks for the suggestion!

    Please check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read anything by her yet but I've heard she's a good author!

    ReplyDelete