Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Divergent by Veronica Roth, coming May 2011 from Katherine Tegen Books.

Summary: In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris, and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together, they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes-f
ascinating, sometimes-exasperating boy fits into the life she’s chosen.

But Tris also has a secret: one she’s kept hidden from everyone, because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly-perfect society, she also learns that her secret might be what helps her save those she loves . . . or it might be what destroys her.

My Thoughts: Everything about this premise screams freaking awesome. The factions based on virtues? Brilliant. That's taking something that we deem, now, to be good things and twisting them to something not so bright and shiny and great. Add in the fact that Beatrice loses her family if she picks something else? Instant drama and intrigue. And then it continues, with the tests and initiations and oh, wait, is that a boy? Why yes, I believe it might be. Then we find out that there's a big secret that could destroy everything? I am so in for this one and cannot wait. This one just screams epitome of brilliant, awesome dystopian. Oh and that cover?Fan. Frickin. Tastic.

14 comments:

  1. It does sound like a great book, something new from what I've been reading for a while now, thanks!

    Come check out my WOW at fantasmagoriese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying these dystopian future books... and one set in Chicago, too cool... finally somewhere I've been and can relate to!


    Check my pick out HERE

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do I love how fired up you are for your WoW pick?? So many great books coming out...thanks for participating in WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added this one to my list recently, I love dystopian and this one sounds good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for this one! I just added this to my list as well!

    Come check out my WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...Im adding this to my TBR list as well!!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The premise of this book is amazing!! I really, really hope it's as good as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for this book!! Thanks for a great WOW recommend.

    Here's my WOW for the week

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely a novel I'm waiting for too! The premise is so creative and interesting! Great pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh a new title for me and it looks fantastic. Definitely putting this one on my wish list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's a WoW! Already went and added it to my TBR list - great find!!

    Our pick is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. saw this on someone's list last week and seriously one week later I don't want it any less and May is so far away.

    Check out my WOW here.

    Also while you are there, please check out my Halloween Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does scream awesome, but I'm dying to know what this secret is!! I guess that's the point of picking it up. XD

    Awesome choice!

    ReplyDelete