Thursday, March 18, 2010

Author Appreciation Week: Post 4

So far this week, I've done the college students trying to balance everything, the authors that probably put themselves through an emotional firestorm to tear the reader's heart out, and the single mom of 4 who is still writing amazing novels. Today's topic, after much debate, are the authors who dare to really push the limits, putting controversial topics in their books and causing a bit of a stir with content. What one person passes as amusing or understandable, another will find offensive.

There are definitely several authors who fall into this category but the two I'm picking are Dia Reeves for some of the very wild things she's incorporated into Bleeding Violet, and S.A. Bodeen for some of the even more shocking events in The Compound.

Dia is a very amusing woman who looks at things a little differently and tests the limits of what the general public finds acceptable. There are a few scenes in Bleeding Violet that have caused a buzz and while I personally thought they were mostly amusing given the overall level of disparity and crazy in that book (and yes, that was the point), others have disliked her book greatly for it. Dia lets it roll off her back, appreciation those who follow her state of mind but understanding those that don't. It takes a strong author to stand in something like that and even from talking to her on my forum, she's prepared for it and knew to expect it. She doesn't fight back, she leaves it up to the reader.

While I don't have as much straight on experienced talking to S.A. Bodeen, The Compound really did push the limits and content alone of that book has received negative reviews. I can't speak for how she handles any backlash but considering I haven't heard anything bad towards it, I am betting she knows how to face it down as well and I applaud both of these women for it. They don't limit or reign themselves in because we are in a time of oversensitivity and content attacks.

And to those of you who didn't like some of the content these women went with, I hope you can still appreciate the author and what they do.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Bleeding Violet yet but I am definitely planning to because of all the buzz it has been getting.

    By the way, you have an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read Bleeding Violet, I've read so many good reviews of it.

    Rock on Dia Reeves for pushing boundaries and being awesome!!

    ReplyDelete