Monday, March 8, 2010

Author Interview: Julie Ann Peters

I have today Julie Ann Peters, the brilliant mind behind By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead, a very powerful deluge into the world of depression, bullying, and suicide.

AGA: Describe the book in one sentence.

JAP: By the Time You Read This, I’ll Be Dead is a book about how the effects of bullying can push a person to the very edge; how too many young people wake up every day feeling their only hope is to end it all.

AGA: Where did the idea of the website Daelyn visits often in the book come from?


JAP: My computer background in designing information systems must’ve come into play, but so much of writing is subconscious. I think my site was a combination of everything I found on the Web: bully boards, suicide boards, information about suicide methods. I invented
www.through-the-light.com to give its users a contained environment in which to interact.

AGA: How much research was involved in this book, both from the mindset to the after effects of various suicide methods?


JAP: Not as much as I usually do for a novel. Everything about bullying and suicide can be found on the Web. The only guesswork was deciding on the pain levels of each suicide method and assigning them a relative number. For example, would it hurt more to jump off a building or blow yourself up with explosives? Before this book begins, Daelyn’s already made up her mind to kill herself, so all I had to do was chronicle her journey. It was weird, though. Normally I’m so emotionally attached to my characters that I cry when the book is finished, but Daelyn distanced herself from everyone—including m
e.

AGA: What was the hardest part of the book for you to write?

JAP: The helplessness of Daelyn’s parents, and the ending.


AGA: If you could pair Daelyn with any character from any other book, what would be your pick?

JAP: I’m going to be self-centered and pair her with one of my own characters—Mike in Far from Xanadu. Mike endured tremendous adversity in her life and grew strong from it. I think she could’ve shown Daelyn how to be a survivor.

Thanks Julie for taking the time for this and if you haven't already, I suggest everyone picks up this book. It's raw, real, and gripping- it sets itself apart from other bullying and suicide related books and is definitely worth the read.



3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, a character reference that I know about! I really liked Mike from Far From Xanadu. She really could've helped Daelyn. *nodnod* Although I thought Santana was a good character... I mean, the boy actually made her speak! that's huge for Daelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to reading this book, despite the excruciatingly painful subject. Thanks for sharing this terrific interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great!thanks for sharing.
    be sure to check out my new book also!

    ReplyDelete