Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Wildefire by Karsten Knight, set to come out July 26, 2011 from Simon & Schuster.

Summary: Ashline Wilde never received an instruction manual on how to be a 16-year-old Polynesian volcano goddess. If she had, it might have contained helpful warnings such as:

• Dreaming about your (thankfully) mortal boyfriend may cause your bed to spontaneously combust
• Oven mitts should be worn at all times during heavy make-out sessions

Instead, Ash has to learn these life lessons the hard way as her dormant powers erupt at the most awkward times. In the wake of a hometown tragedy, Ash transfers to Blackwood Academy, a boarding school nestled in California’s redwoods, where a group of fellow gods-on-earth have mysteriously convened. As if sophomore year couldn’t get any worse, her storm goddess older sister, the wild and unpredictable Eve, resurfaces to haunt Ashline. With a war between the gods looming over Blackwood, Ash must master the fire smoldering within her before she clashes with her sister one final time, which leads us to life-lesson #3:

• When warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

My Thoughts: Gods-on-earth? Fire smoldering within? Yes. Please. The concept of this one is fantastic, from the Polynesian goddess to the boarding school setting to the storm that's guaranteed in even the premise. I really think this premise alone is far from basic, making me think the plot of the book will be far from simple... and most likely quite amazing. And then there's the cover, dark and mysterious, but I love the centered focus and flame, with the smoke rising. It definitely speaks for Ash, and is still eye catching.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, agreed, agreed! Awesome pick Kari. I'm adding this one to my wishlist right now. Thanks so much for sharing!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I can't wait for this one to come out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems interesting, i like how her name is Ash and shes a polynesian fire goddess XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for this book either! It sounds original and enthralling! I hope you love it when you get to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds soo god! I love everything about goddess, so I can't wait to read it >)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I haven't seen anything about this book yet! I want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds so good definitely gonna check this one out.

    MYWOW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this ha definitely got my attention. It is now officially on my wish list

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I LOVE that cover!! Liking a lot of covers from WoWs this week!!

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete