Sunday, April 18, 2010

Book Review: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

SUMMARY:

Only two weeks ago, life was all too predictable. But that was before I saw my first ghost. Now, along with my supernatural friends Tori, Derek, and Simon, I’m on the run from the Edison Group, which genetically altered us as part of their sinister experiment. We’re hiding in a safe house that might not be as safe as it seems. We’ll be gone soon anyway, back to rescue those we’d left behind and to take out the Edison Group . . . or so we hope.


OPINION: 3 STARS

I have to admit, after the captivating first two books, this last installment left me wanting and disappointed. Although there is a companion series planned, this book has left many lingering questions that don't seem easy to answer in something that isn't centered around Chloe. While reading, I loved this book as much as the others and it pulled me in from the start but the ending came fast.

Chloe grows tremendously in this book, finishing the development she started in The Awakening. She learns how to handle many situations in a better way than when first introduced and it made for a very connecting part of the book. She continues to be a character that can be related to, powers aside, and overall remains a memorable and unique personality.

Derek and Simon also continue to develop and grow, showing more sides of them to the reader and building their bond and connection with Chloe. The interaction between the three continues to hold a strong part of the book, keeping the reader engaged even in the times where the action slows. Derek is an especially intriguing character, a mix of frustration and understanding that is intertwined in an expert way to draw the reader towards him.

This plot moves at a pretty steady pace with plenty of advancement even while the characters are waiting things out. The mysteries build in the first two books come back up but while some are smoothed out, others are left open and a few new ones are added in which contributed greatly to the overall disappointment I felt at the end of the book. In truth, I think one more book would be needed to finish Chloe's story- this one simply felt too open even for me.

Armstrong's writing remains strong, painting vivid pictures but keeping with Chloe's character, mannerisms and style that has been built up in the first two books. There is never a dissonance there and I didn't find Chloe to ever slip out of character. The other characters also showed their own personalities even through Chloe's eyes and they were all succinct and unique.

Overall, another engaging page turner but for a final installment, it fell short for me. I look forward to the companion series, however, as well as the upcoming online novella Armstrong will start posting in May. This is still a series I would recommend for the bold characters, strong writing, and unique plot and premise.

Details:
Source: Purchased from Amazon.com
Hardcover, 400 pages
HarperCollins Publishers
April 06, 2010
ISBN13: 9780061662836
ISBN: 0061662836

Author's Website

Darkest Powers Website

What Others Are Saying
(Not Guaranteed to be Spoiler Free)
Em's Bookshelf
Love Vampires
The Book Smugglers

7 comments:

  1. AH! I went to go buy this today and my bookstore didn't have it! AH! Well I'm glad you thought it was good. I'm just going to have to be patient. XP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been wanting to read Kelly Armstrong's books for a while. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if it is so so I think I might try it out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your point. But I heard the author is doing the next series but overlapping them. Meaning at one point this story *the reckoning* will continue in the next series. That's what I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way. I loved the books, but The Reckoning left me wanting more. Hopefully she'll explore the characters a bit more in her new series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutly loved this series...and I do agree I was left with a few unansered questions, but from what I hear, Armstrong is going to continue the series, but not for a little while. In an interview I read she said she was going to let chloe and the others sit for a bit and come back to the story at a later date, which is why she made them younger...so heres hoping this is true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these books and agree that it needs a more closing ending. there are so many questions I have that I would love to have answered!

    ReplyDelete