Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler, hitting shelves October 18, 2010 from Graphia.

SUMMARY:

"Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world."

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home—her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power—and the courage to fight her own inner demons?

A wildly original approach to the issue of eating disorders, Hunger is about the struggle to find balance in a world of extremes, and uses fantastic tropes to explore a difficult topic that touches the lives of many teens.

My Thoughts: I really love the idea behind this, tying something serious like anorexia in to the Four Horsemen. The cover is also very catching, hinting at the fantasy aspect of this book. I certainly can't wait to see how Kessler plays this one out and the way she twines the two facets together.

6 comments:

  1. I have this one on my preorder list, it looks great! Here's my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic. I've got it on my TBR list too. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book cover. Great pick. My WOW and review of Day For Night by Frederick Reiken are at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally can't wait for this book. The premise is like nothing I've ever heard before. I hope it turns out to be as amazing as I'm expecting it to be. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great, sounds very new and exciting.

    My pick is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete