Friday, January 22, 2010

Barkings From A Beagle (4)

Barkings From A Beagle is a weekly feature to recommend/spotlight a book, new or old. Since I already spotlight Toby in my IMM posts, I figured I could incorporate him into this as well. Basically, Toby and I just tell you guys about a book and why I loved it, as well as provide links to buy it from the main booksellers.

This week's pick was published in 2006 but I read it last summer. I really enjoyed it- a very quick read but pretty unique and hard to read at times.

Toby Barks: Read The Secret Hour (The Midnighters Book 1) by Scott Westerfeld.

(This week, we ignore how annoyed Toby looks since he is supposed to be excited....)

Summary: A few nights after Jessica Day arrives in Bixby, Oklahoma, she wakes up at midnight to find the entire world frozen, except for her and a few others who call themselves 'midnighters'. Dark things haunt this midnight hour -- dark things with a mysterious interest in Jessica. The question is … why? The Secret Hour is a compelling tale of dark secrets, midnight romance, eerie creatures, courage, destiny, and unexpected peril.

My Thoughts: I found this idea to be really unique- I haven't really read anything similar to it. The series as a whole we great, with the last book actually being my favorite. I adored how it ended- I thought it was phenomenal. Though the writing isn't amazing, that ending just sky rocketed the series for me. There is plenty of elements involved in this book and the time put into creating it is clear- and well done. This book leads into the story really nicely, setting up not only the Secret Hour itself but also some of the lore and the characters.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the whole series too, and I learnt plenty of new words along the way. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about buying this lately! I just bought the Uglies box set so I might buy this on my Kindle soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this before and I meant to get it, but I guess I didn't lol! I will have to add it to my tbr list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this series about two years ago, and I really liked it, but our opinions differ on the ending. I really wasn't a big fan. It was a very creative ending though, and I definitely didn't see it coming, but at least at the time I read it I was just asking "Why?" over and over. I might have to reread them to see if I've changed my mind ;)

    ReplyDelete