Friday, January 8, 2010

Barkings from a Beagle

Barkings From A Beagle is a weekly feature to recommend/spotlight a book, new or old. Since I already spotlight Toby in my IMM posts, I figured I could incorporate him into this as well. Basically, Toby and I just tell you guys about a book and why I loved it, as well as provide links to buy it from the main booksellers.

This week's pick is a YA title that I couldn't wait to get my hands on and definitely wasn't disappointed though since I have been blogging, I haven't seen it show up on my blogs though it was published in Feb 2009 which could be part of why. Regardless....

Toby Barks: Read Alis by Naomi Rich.


Summary: At 14, Alis has never been outside her strict religious community. But when her parents arrange for her to marry a 40-year-old man, she desperately flees to the dangerous, unfamiliar city. She learns quickly that the only way to survive there is to become a thief--or worse.

My thoughts:

This book had many surprising events and a pretty unique story line. Alis most definitely pulled me in and often times, I had little trouble envisioning the world created. I found myself both loving and hating her family, despising them for how they treat her but knowing it was their lifestyle. This book puts a nice spin on the strict religious community type of scenario.

Now Toby Barks: Buy it!
Borders Amazon B&N

3 comments:

  1. hehe
    You called it Breakings From a Beagle!?

    Hmm... I've never read a book set in a religious community... but if you recommend this one I'll have to have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL seems like Toby couldn't wait to get his hands...sorry, paws on it either. Sounds good, and the cover looks nice.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aye.Me? Thank you for pointing that out haha. This is what I get for trying to do this at midnight I guess... but the religious community aspect of this book was really interesting, and somewhat eye opening.

    Ivana- Yep, he took it and wouldnt give it back haha

    ReplyDelete