Monday, June 7, 2010

Author Interview: Amy Holder

Have you guys heard of Amy Holder yet? What? You haven't? Shame on you! Okay, I forgive you. I'll let this one slide but you will now know the name! She is an up and coming 2011 debut author, hitting us with the fantastic looking The Lipstick Laws. Not only does her book look, well, fantastic, but she's pretty darn awesome too! So without further ado, I bring you a getting to know you interview with Amy!

What is the most fearless thing you've done to date?

What HAVEN'T I done that's fearless? I eat fear for lunch. My middle name is McFearless. Okay, not really. I'm not the biggest risk taker you'll ever meet. Hence I write fiction, where I can make my characters take the risks. That being said, I do think it takes a certain amount of courage to be an author and put your work out there on display for strangers to read and critique. Other than that, I've been snorkeling in the ocean off of Costa Rica. I guess that's not super high on the fear spectrum...but I could have been eaten by a large shark, mind you.

If you could step into someone else's shoes for a day, whose life would you like to experience?

I'd love to step into JK Rowling's life for a day. Not only would it be amazing to take a vacation in her brilliant imagination, it would be fun to feel what it's like to be the world's best known, most loved (and wealthy) author.

What is the most private thing you're willing to share?

I'm allergic to Pepto-Bismol and throw up pink when I take it. This happened to me twice in elementary school. Yes, I was that kid. I haven't taken it since. TMI? I thought so.

We all know everyone has at least one secret fantasy person- a celeb, etc they wouldn't mind some time with. Who's your fantasy?

This question is making me blush like a giddy schoolgirl. I confess, I think Henry Cavill from The Tudors is deliciously divine. *Fanning face* It's time to move to the next question before I overheat...

Of all the people who've read your upcoming release The Lipstick Laws thus far, which one was both the hardest to pass over and the best one to see their thoughts?

I was simultaneously the most interested in and the most nervous about getting my editor's feedback. Waiting for my editorial letter made me bubble over with nerves and anticipation. I worried that there would be a big red line through my whole manuscript with a deadline of two days to change everything. Thankfully, I had nothing to worry about. My editor and I are on the same page, and her editorial guidance has been so helpful to both my story and me as a writer. I feel lucky to have her in my corner.

What upcoming book are you most looking forward to reading?

Sorry, I can't choose just one. First, I'm a ginormous fan of Sophie Kinsella and am looking forward to her new book, Mini Shopaholic. I'm also really looking forward to Jackson Pearce's new release, Sisters Red. As far as debuts go, I'm very excited for Denise Jaden's 2010 young adult debut, Losing Faith. And, of course, I can't wait to get my hands on the many great upcoming reads by my fellow 2011 debut authors.

What is one of the most notable, life changing books you've read to date?

Gosh, this is a tough question... there are so many fantastic books (fiction and non) to choose from. One that has stuck with me since reading it as a Psych major in college is A Child Called "It", by Dave Pelzer. I'm not sure if it's the most notable book I've ever read, but it was definitely life changing because it made me appreciate my life more by opening my eyes to a harrowing life experience so unlike mine. It also gave me insight into the endless capabilities and resilience of the human spirit. I'm amazed at all the author went through in his childhood, and still came out on top to be able to pen such a poignant series.

What kind of cookie would you describe yourself as?

I'd describe myself as an ooey, gooey Nestle Toll House cookie cake with lots of frosting scribbled on top because I'm sweet, quirky, soft on the inside, and a lover of words (especially words made of frosting). Not to mention, I get a cookie cake every year on my birthday. Yummo!

Thank you Amy for stopping by and congrats on your debut release! The Lipstick Laws is slated for a spring 2011 release. Want to find out more about Amy and keep up with her? Check out her blog!


Book summary (As found on goodreads): At Penford High School, Britney Taylor is queen bee. She dates whomever she likes, rules over her inner circle of friends like Genghis Kahn, and can ruin anyone's life as easily as snapping her perfectly manicured fingers. Just ask the unfortunate few who have crossed her.

For April Bowers, Britney is also the answer to her prayers. With zero friends and nothing close to a boyfriend, April is so unpopular, kids don't know she exists. That is, until Britney notices her. One lunch spent at Britney's table, and April is basking in the glow of popularity.

But Britney's friendship comes with a price tag.

How much is April willing to pay?

7 comments:

  1. Great interview. Love Amy and can't wait to read Lipstick Laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book coming out! Yeah Fearless Amy! Can't wait!
    Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun interview! Amy, I'm sorry, but I will have to fight you for Henry Cavill. ;D I'm really excited to read The Lipstick Laws!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! And, haha, I loved Amy's answers. That Nestle Toll House cookie cake definitely sounds like something I want to try some time, and I've never heard of Henry Cavill (embarassing).

    Can't wait to read The Lipstick Laws! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome interview! Loved her cookie answer and the shark bit. The cover for her book is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! Oh, and snorkeling is scary. I completely freaked out the one and only time I went.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for interviewing me on your blog, Kari! Your questions were so fun.

    Adriana - All I have to say is it's game on for Henry Cavill. Bring it. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete