Friday, March 25, 2011

Mini Reviews: Wildefire, Hourglass, Supernaturally

It's mini review time again! Wherein I basically go fangirl gushy about some books I've read and completely loved, a little more laid back than my usual reviews-- which will come closer to the actual release for these ones.


Wildefire by Karsten Knight: The characters stand out to me more than anything with this one. They are fantastically well done, from Ash who the story revolves around right down to even the small characters like the school headmistress. Knight develops them so intricately that even a quick scene gives you quite a bit about that character's personality. Ash is sarcastic and a master at the witty banter, and there is plenty of humor in this book despite a somewhat somber and questioning overall air. Then there's Colt, suave and charming with an interesting intensity and passion about him. I loved watching these two together. And even with seemingly stereotypical characters, Knight makes them his own and makes them someone you want to see more of on the pages, from the jock to the quiet girl to the beautiful snob. Characters aside, though, this one has a stellar plot with plenty of completely original additions, and twists that are near impossible to predict. It's original and insightful and just downright awesome. Add in the killer cliffhanger, and Knight leaves you salivating like a St. Bernard for the next one. Oh, and I love love love his writing. It is beautiful and has a fantastic flow, and even though it's in third person, he pulls you so effectively into Ashline's head that you don't even really notice it's not first person.


Hourglass by Myra McEntire: This one blew my mind and frankly, made my brain ache just trying to fully think about the total implications of everything McEntire put into this book. The plot is absolutely brilliant and fantastic and amazing, and is so intricate that it's one of those where if you even try to explain why it's so awe-inspiring, you'll probably accidentally spoil something. Just when you think you might have it figured out... Nope. Something else is thrown in that kicks you in the chest like a ticked off horse but makes you go back for more all the same. So suffice it to say, this one has more twists and turns than a Tilt-a-Whirl, and pulls it off without ever being confusing or frustrating or cliche. Engaging from the start, with fantastic characterization, and completely phenomenal, this will likely always stay in my top ten books ever. Not to mention, it has two seriously hot boys. Yeah. Two. And holy hormones batman does McEntire know how to make you want them both.


Supernaturally by Kiersten White: So, you know how in Paranormalcy, there were all these new things, or already known creature things but that you never read about? And you know how it was funny, even when it shouldn't have been? Yeah. Supernaturally is just like that. Except not exactly like that, because White still adds all this new stuff, and keeps you guessing, and makes you wonder what the heck is going on in her head except then you read more and think maybe you don't want to know what's in her head, unless of course that means finding out about book three because you will want it like NAO once you finish this one. But it doesn't have a cliffhanger ending. It's just that good, and so fantastically well built. And the characters are awesome. And they have to go through so much stuff, and there's SO much emotion in this one, but still it's funny and overall, has a light air in a way that I think only Kiersten White can pull off. I've said it before and I stand by it. Kiersten's brain is a weapon of mass destruction, but at least her destruction is the good kind. Or something like that. But this one doesn't rely on having put out a great first book to carry it. Nope. It stands on its own as amazing and fantastic and every other word that means something like that and heck, we might even need to make up a few new ones just for this book.

7 comments:

  1. I am SO jealous you've read Supernaturally and Wildfire! I agree, Hourglass is a fantastic book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome mini reviews of books I'm DYING to read! Especially Hourglass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - Hourglass rocked in a major way! And I'm still about ready to come smack you because you've read Wildefire and Supernaturally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous about all of this. I'm glad they're all so good though! Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iz jealous that you read all three of these books already. I'm salivating like a St. Bernard already, just waiting for these. I cannot wait for all three of them to come out and your mini reviews have me even more eager.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is that you've officially wanted to make me read it even MORE!!!! Grrr :P Great mini review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the idea of these mini reviews! There are a couple of books that I was lucky enough to receive early, but I'm waiting closer to the release date to post a review. It's hard because I just want to start gushing about how much I loved them right now! I might have to borrow this idea from you, if you wouldn't mind terribly? I would be a good way to fangirl and still save the reviews for the release month :) I want to read all three of these rather badly, by the way. Especially Hourglass. I like a little mind-blowing in my books, and I love it when they keep you guessing. Great, tantalizing post!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete