Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies, coming September 27 from HarperTeen.

Summary: Skye never questioned the story of her life. Her Aunt Jo adopted her after the death of her parents when she was just a child, and together they flip through memories the way some people flip through photo albums.

She never questioned if the stories were true.

Until the night of her 17th birthday, when the arrival of two strangers intrudes on her cozy life. Polar opposites, like fire and ice, Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair, cold, and aloof. Skye has no idea what they want—only that their presence coincides with the beginning of some shockingly strange events. Events that Skye, if she dares to think it, might be responsible for causing.

High up in the mountains of Boulder, Colorado, Skye finds herself caught in the middle of an ancient battle, one that began untold millennia ago. Torn between unpredictable Asher, whom she loves, and the infuriating Devin, who she can’t stay away from, her fate is murky as a starless night. And as the secrets of her true identity are revealed, Skye realizes that her destiny may reside in the Heavens—or somewhere darker.



My Thoughts: Two boys?! Yes! As if one hot boy to drool over and plot to steal isn't awesome enough, now there are two! And yet, I'm not entirely sure this is really going to be a love triangle, but if it is, I think it will be an awesome one. Not to mention, their names alone are sexy. Also, I really like the hints of this being a Heaven vs Hell, good vs evil kind of story, yet I get the sense that that isn't the only platform for the plot. Whatever her overall role is, and the role of each of the boys... I have no clue, and that's just how it should be. Add in the family secrets angle, and the fact that Skye will have to deal with that on top of everything else, and I think Davies has a firm launching point for a fantastic book. 

As for the cover... it is gorgeous! I really am loving the blue background, especially compared to the white and gray it was before. It isn't quite Heaven, and not quite Hell, but something hinting at the turmoil between. It also makes her dress stand out more, and I really just love her posture. Is she about to freefall off something, not knowing where she'll end up, or is she spreading her arms into the wind? Oh, and the title print is just awesome. Too bad September is half a year away...

23 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this one, either! Love the cover!

    That's What Liz Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cover is breathtaking! This sounds like a very interesting story -- I'm not sure which mythology it will follow. Fey? Angels? We shall see! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like it's going to be good one! I'll have to add it to my list for sure.

    OH you're reading Wildefire!! So jealous---how is it so far??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, this is a new one to me and it sounds AMAZING. Plus that cover? Gorgeous. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for it.

    Stephanie @ Poetry to Prose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just see this in your blog.
    So it will be another book about angel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow beautiful cover. I'm with you as well - TWO hot guys to drool over.. sign me up! You can see what I'm waiting for at The Bookish Snob Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want, no HAVE to read this. NOW. ARGH! I have to wait until I'm 20! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am intrigued by what's going on in this book but I hate love triangles. I may have to read it any way.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely intrigued by this one and the cover is gorgeous. Great Pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one looks really good, I just hope it doesn't turn into a cliche xD Great pick! Definitely something to keep an eye out for :)

    my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! That's an amazing cover! Seeing a lot of beautiful ones today!

    Here's my WoW

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooh, another one with some hot boys. I love those! =D Can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pick! I can't wait for this one. I really love the cover too!

    My WoW is up on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope when you get it, it will be everything you hope it to be. Check out what I am Waiting On Wednesday for.

    ReplyDelete
  15. New follower =)

    This story sounds AWESOME! And the cover is beautiful.. I can't chose whether or not I think she's going to fall, or fly.
    Great pick!

    Here's my link:
    http://www.violethourbr.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-323-bathrobe.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great cover and interesting plot synopsis. I'll have to keep this one in mind when September rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great YA cover, sounds like a great plot. Enjoy your books this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pick!! I'm really looking forward to reading this one. The cover is stunning!

    Happy Reading!
    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE that cover
    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great - just went on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eeep! Love the cover! I have this on my Goodreads shelf already but hadn't seen the cover art. Now I'm even more excited! Thanks for sharing your WoW! Here's mine: http://www.readnowsleeplater.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-2011-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty cover! The artwork really captures my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks great! I'll have to add it to my wish list.

    Reading Lark's WOW

    ReplyDelete