Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Variant by Robinson Wells, coming October 1 from HarperTeen.

Summary: Benson Fisher is a foster kid from the slums of Pittsburgh, who, trying to leave his old life behind, gets a scholarship to a private high school in the mountains of New Mexico. However, once he gets there, he realizes that the school is definitely not what he was expecting: it’s surrounded by razor-wire fences and tall brick walls, and the students inside are essentially prisoners–they have no contact with the outside world. There are no adults, either, and the other students are just like him–kids from the fringes of society who no one will miss. Well, almost all of the kids are like him.


My Thoughts: First, it's a boy book. Which are my favorite. Second, just judging from this premise, it's going to be a gritty and intense book. Also my favorite. Third, this cover is just fantastic. A little creepy, very thought provoking, and definitely grabbing. I really want to know about the kids that aren't like Benson. And I want to know more about this school. And I want to know what exactly is going to happen, because this premise has all the makings of a fantastic, grab me from the start book.

22 comments:

  1. A boy book! I haven't really read much boy books and this one really looks good. It somehow reminds me of Gone, which I loved. Great WoW pick!

    Here's my Waiting on Wednesday picks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick! I like reading the occasional boy book.

    Here's my WoW:
    http://romanticscholar.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I like a boy's POV. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The setting of this book sounds creepy.
    I am going to put this book into my TBR.


    my Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just saw this one in the new Harper Catalog---looks really good! I love the boy perspective, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hurray for boy books! You're right, this one look sreally really great, thans for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added this one to my wishlist yesterday too. I really like that cover and the premise sounds really unique. Great WoW pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. this one sounds interesting,I went ahead and added to my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing premise. Love it and definitely going on the wish list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting summary. I'm wondering if they'll be used for experiments of some kind. Sounds like an intense read! Great pick!

    Take a look at my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am adding this to my TBR list. I hadn't heard of it but it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good. I like books from a boy's point of view, as there is not enough out there. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so used to female books that it's hard to function with boy books sometimes. But this one sounds interesting enough and I like the cover!

    Old Follower
    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy books are awesome and rare. And it's HarperTeen. Thanks for alerting me to this one. I've added it to my TBR list!

    Check out what I'm waiting for this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes to boy books written by boys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pick! I'm going to have to check this out... I don't think I've read many books writte for boys. :)

    New Follower!
    Happy Wednesday!
    http://readerbee.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-4-gathering.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time I've seen this one, looks good. Going on my wishlist.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having worked for years with foster kids, I can completely imagine the feelings he is going through...and it sounds like he has landed in a truly horrific place. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love finding boy books because Jake and Gregory are always in need of them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never read too many boy books, but this pick sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard of this book before. The summary sounds interesting, but as you say, it sounds like a boy book and I'm not a big fan of boy books. But I'll look for it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seems to be an interesting story. Would love to get a copy of this soon.

    ReplyDelete