Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Epic Fail, by Claire LaZebnik, coming August 2 from HarperTeen.

Summary: At Coral Tree Prep in Los Angeles, who your parents are can make or break you. Case in point:

• As the son of Hollywood royalty, Derek Edwards is pretty much prince of the school—not that he deigns to acknowledge many of his loyal subjects.

• As the daughter of the new principal, new-girl-on-campus Elise Benton isn’t exactly on everyone’s must-sit-next-to-at-lunch list.

When Elise’s beautiful sister catches the eye of the prince’s best friend, Elise gets to spend a lot of time with Derek, making her the envy of every girl. Except she refuses to fall for any of his rare smiles and instead warms up to his enemy, the surprisingly charming social outcast Webster Grant. But in this hilarious tale of fitting in and flirting, not all snubs are undeserved, not all celebrity brats are bratty, and pride and prejudice can get in the way of true love for only so long. Fans of Susane Colasanti (When It Happens), Polly Shulman (Enthusiasm), and, of course, Jane Austen will love finding out if Elise’s love life will be an epic win or an epic fail.



My Thoughts: This one sounds just all kinds of fun and lighthearted, but maybe with some deeper moments  mixed in. It looks like a great take on the enemies turned friends thing, and hits on the social status thing that matters, but then doesn't. I really do love how this one seems to take some simple, known concepts to spin them to something new, and I cannot wait to meet these characters. Just reading this summary makes me eager to get to know Derek and Webster, and find out just how hot and charming they are, and see how Elise really handles everything. As for the cover, it's cute and flirty and I think it will fit nicely with the book.

19 comments:

  1. I agree. This novel does sound light hearted and fun! I'm adding this one to my wishlist! Thanks for sharing with us.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so waiting for this book too! Sounds like a really fun book! I'm a big fan of Susane Colasanti and if this book is anything close to that, then this book will be great.

    Here's my WoW picks for the week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. First I've heard of it.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one yet - but all I can say is WOW! I'm going to have to add this to my to be read pile! Thanks!

    Check out my WOW this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree this one does sound like a fun read. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm I hadn't heard of this before now but I'm intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting cover and summary. Nice pick!

    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got this on my TBR list but I didn't realize it was inspired by Pride and Prejudice. That makes it a must read for me! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pick! I've not heard of this one, but will definitely be adding it to my reading list!

    Here's mine!
    http://readerbee.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-5-where-she-went.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Epic Fail sounds so cute, it's been on my wishlist for a few weeks now - can't wait to read it.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like all kinds of interesting. I love seeing what other YA enthusiasts are waiting on to add to my ever growing TBR list on Goodreads.

    For my wow, please visit: http://piscesmuse.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/waiting-on-wednesday-supernaturally-by-kiersten-white/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cover! It's good to see that contemporary YA is still going strong. Although I find myself more attracted to the paranormal as I have been for the past 10 years. :)

    Here's my WoW

    Old Follower
    ~Jessica @a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds great! Good pick this week! Oh, and it's got a cute cover! : ) I'm having a giveaway on my blog you might be interested in and you can check out my WOW here:

    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really cute - I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that when you get your book, that it will be everything you hope it to be. Check out what I am Waiting On Wednesday for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like a lighthearted read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, great option for your WoW. This is my first week doing this and if you'd like to see my choice, hop on over to my blog...

    http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/

    Thanks and I look forward to reading more of your posts! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooooh I hadn't heard of this book. This is definitely going on my fluffy/happy to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete