Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mini Review: Shattered Souls

Why yes, yes it is time for another mini review! Because there is yet another book that I freaking adore, and couldn't get enough, and read basically in one sitting, and haven't shut up about since I read it.

This time, it's Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey. You know, the one with the breathtakingly gorgeous cover that you want to plaster your walls with? Well, in this girl's opinion, the insides of that book match up to the cover. Mary's writing is downright gorgeous and fantastic, and from creepy chill inducing to playful and fun to emotional and heartbreaking, she easily covers the range of it. The characters are fantastic. I loved Linzi's character, from how brave she is to the fact that she isn't perfect, she was completely real, and easy to rally behind. Zak is hot, the misunderstood kind of broken rocker boy that completely melted my heart. Loved that boy, and felt so much for him and with him. But then there's Alden, who is totally swoonworthy, and just the right mix of cocky and at ease yet awkward and sometimes uncomfortable. Plus when you find out more about Alden, and his full role with Linzi, well... it's awesome. Awesome writing and characters aside, though, I loved the story line in this one. Sure, there's some element seen in other books but it's still something that is very clearly Mary's. It's twisted in new ways, refreshing overall, and just has this fantastic play out. Everything is pretty much tied up by the end, so no OMFG cliffhangers here. This one's a stand alone, but I love the world and characters so much that I definitely am hoping for a sequel. The world, and this girl, could use a little more Alden in it.

5 comments:

  1. I so cannot wait for my copy to get here! Great mini-view! Oh, and I am SO jealous you are reading Misfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fab book--I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the mini. :)
    Mary
    The Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this book SO bad, and your review is just making me all the more impatient for it. Love, love, love, the mini review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah this one is on my list of must reads. Thanks for the preview, I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a stand-alone novel? I was under the impression that it was part of a series... not that stand-alones are bad or anything ;) SHATTERED SOULS sounds spectacular! I can't wait to read it for myself. Thanks for the enthusiastic mini review, Kari!

    ReplyDelete