Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel, coming October 18 from Random House.

Summary: As far as romantic pairings go in the year 2195, you don't get much more unlikely than an upper-class schoolgirl and a poor miner from enemy tribes. Filter in the fact that he's a zombie, and you're definitely talking about star-crossed love.

Dearly, Departed is a cyber-Victorian/steampunk romance that takes place in the shadow of a new ice age. Nora Dearly, a mouthy teenage girl and apparent orphan, leaves school for Christmas - only to be dragged into the night by the living dead. Luckily for her, though, the good ones got to her first. From her reanimated rescuers she learns not only that zombies are roaming the countryside, but that her father is one - and that he's in terrible trouble. She also meets Captain Bram Griswold, a noble, strong, and rather sweet undead boy for whom she starts to fall.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Pamela Roe, is just trying to carry on with life as best she can in the wake of Nora's disappearance - when she ends up killing an evil zombie in self-defense. Pam is galvanized into action, and ends up leading a group of survivors as the city of New London is thronged by the ravenous dead.

Upon hearing of Pamela's plight, Nora and Bram set out to rescue her friends, find her missing father, and maybe just save what's left of the world.



My Thoughts: Cyber/steampunk? Zombies? Undead love interest? Yes please. This has awesome and amazing and fun written all over it! I love basically everything about the premise of this book, right down the creepy mystery aspect of it that it builds so freaking well. I want to know all of this book's secrets. I want to see how this particular romance builds and grows. I want to know if they save the world. Just. All of it. And then there's the cover, dark but hopeful, beautiful but gothic... Want want want. 

19 comments:

  1. This one looks so good, and the cover is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah! This sounds so good! Zombies seem to be a recurring theme lately. I can't wait to read it! And the cover is stunning. ;)

    ~Loren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to this one :)

    Here's my WOW pick.

    Kat
    Wit and Sin

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my wishlist for ages now. I mean, how can anyone not adore the idea of "In Dearly, Departed, steampunk meets romance meets walking-dead thriller"? It's almost too perfect. ;)

    My WoW post can be found here: http://www.bittenbooks.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-4.html
    Kaity - Bitten Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loove Zombie-themed books. This one's sounds interesting so I'll definitely check it out.

    Here's our pick.

    Dea
    Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although not a huge fan of the zombie genre, I am liking the steampunk aspect of this one and might have to forgo my prejudices to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my to-read list as well, because it really sounds interesting. Great pick!

    Carina
    (My WoW)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my WoW pick today too! I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for this one either! Have it on my release list and will be a WoW spotlight eventually!

    Here's my WoW

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep seeing this book, I'm going to have to check it out. Great pick!

    Here's my WoW this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm kind of over star-crossed lovers, but I do love steampunk!

    Please check out what I'm waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with your thoughts! This book sounds like it's right up my alley. The premise has everything I want in a book! Great WoW choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cover, have to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pick. I am really looking forward to reading this one.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, that cover alone makes it delectable! Great pick, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one looks great! a beautiful cover.

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steampunk and zombies, sounds like my kind of book. Will have to add this to the list.

    Amy (new follower)

    http://amysadumbrations.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-for-first-time.html

    ReplyDelete