Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Author Interview: Shelena Shorts

As part of my forum correlation, I have Shelena Shorts here on the blog to do a teaser interview for the live chat TONIGHT at 8 pm CST! You don't want to miss this!


AGA: What was the initial idea/concept that sparked the rest of this novel?

SS: The very first image that went through my mind when I thought about writing a story was of a guy feeling conflicted and helpless because he knew there was no way he could save a girl. I pictured that conversation, and it was actually the scene where Wes comes to Sophie’s room after New Year’s and gives her news she doesn’t like. From that scene I started thinking about how Wes could possibly know what the future holds and the details followed from there!


AGA: Did you do any research for this book, particularly about Wes or did it all come from your head alone?

SS: I did a lot of research to come up with Wes’ composition. I really wanted to make him “special” but in a realistic and believable way. (Without spoiling anything) I researched types of “things” that could heal, early medical procedures, and various conditions that could make it possible.


AGA: From start to finish, how long did this book take you to get written?

SS: Once I settled on the details from my research, it took about three months to write from start to finish. Then it took another two to go back and edit and revise.


AGA: If you could pair Wes and Sophie with any character from any book, what would your picks be?

SS: That is a fantastic question! It’s also very tough! My first thought is to say I could never pair them with anyone else because they are perfect together, blah blah blah, but I’m sure you want a real answer :). Soooo, if I thought very hard and had to pick, I’d probably pair Sophie with Ethan Wate from Beautiful Creatures and Wes with Gemma from Stolen(This pick was really really tough, but I think Wes would be good for her!:)


AGA:Do you have anything else planned besides the next installment in this series?

SS: I’m working on another book right now that’s separate from The Pace Series. I think it’ll be a stand alone, but I’m not far enough into it yet to tell. I had actually planned to finish it after the third Pace, but it’s the story fighting for the attention in my mind right now, so don’t want to ignore it. I love the two characters as much as Sophie and Wes, and I think Sophie and Wes fans will too!


AGA: Where did you come up with the character's names?

SS: Well, for Wes, I looked up English names since he’s originally from London. I wanted a name you don’t see everyday, as well as something that sounded classic and modern. I connected to it as soon as I saw it. For Sophie… I wanted a name that went well with Wes, and that one came to mind. Lenny came from Edgar Allen Poe’s poem, The Raven. It’s short for Lenore. And for Amelia, I needed something old fashioned that had an innovative connotation, so I chose that one.


AGA: Is there anything else you'd like to say?

SS: Thank you for having me, and thank you to everyone who has read The Pace. I’m beyond grateful. I had no idea if people would like Wes, and I worked really hard to develop him in the beginning to make him a likable guy, so it makes me really happy that readers have accepted him. I think it’s pretty cool, so thank you so much!


Thanks so much for stopping by Shelena and I will see you tonight at the chat! The links are at the top of my blog page- you'll need to register but it's a quick process. The chatbox is located at the bottom of the main forum page once you're logged in and there's a log in button for it at the top right of the box.

6 comments:

  1. Great questions - I cant WAIT for chat tonight :) Shelena is such an awesome person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I can't wait to read this book. It is NEXT on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, nice question about pairing Sophie and Wes with OTHER people. That's something I never would've fathomed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Book Lovers Delight has an award for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely interview as always, it sucks I couldn't make the chat :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of CSM until this post, and had to check it out myself. I haven't read the Mortal Instruments series so took a look at reviews for the Twilight series.

    After checking those out, I can see what all the fuss is about. The rating system is a joke, and I have to wonder if all the commenters have actually read the books.

    Maybe I'm overlooking the link, but I don't see how to get to your forum. It sounds interesting.

    Incidentally, I have some giveaways going on over at my site. Hope you stop by and take a look.

    ReplyDelete