Friday, February 5, 2010

Barkings From A Beagle

Barkings From A Beagle is a weekly feature to recommend/spotlight a book, new or old. Since I already spotlight Toby in my IMM posts, I figured I could incorporate him into this as well. Basically, Toby and I just tell you guys about a book and why I loved it, as well as provide links to buy it from the main booksellers.

This week, Toby Barks: Read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness!

Since I don't have the actual book with me right now- I loaned it to a friend- you can just see a picture of baby Toby... ie, this is what my little guy looked like not long after we get him when he was 13 weeks old... rather than 11 years and a few months that he is now.

Summary:
Readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in this series that follows a boy and girl on the run from a town where all thoughts can be heard--and the passage into manhood embodies a horrible secret.

My Thoughts: This novel is utter brilliance. It's the first in a trilogy and I am dying for that final book. The entire world set up is very unique, the dialect outstanding, and Manchee is pretty much the world's coolest dog. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes the scifi/fantasy kind of thing. Todd is a character you can definitely get into for a lot of reasons, from how dumb he is because of where he comes from to how smart he also is for those same reasons.

Details (These are Hardback details but it is available in PB):
Hardcover, 496 pages
Candlewick Press
September 09, 2008
ISBN13: 9780763639310
ISBN: 0763639311
BINC: 9527870
Edition: Illustrated, Edition #Bk. 1
Series: Chaos Walking Ser.
Series #: Bk. 1
Age: 14 and up

7 comments:

  1. The book sounds great, and your dog is so bloody cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww toby! What a cutie! :)

    I still have to get this! Thanks Kari! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made it, yay! :) Toby was really cute back then! I haven't read this book yet, but it's on my tbr list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! The title alone -- "The Knife of Never Letting Go" had me hooked. :-) And your beagle is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound good, a town where all thoughts can be heard, hmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, Toby was so cute! And this is my first time hearing of this book, and the premise definitely sounds interesting and unique. I'm glad you liked it so much, and it sounds like I HAVE to check this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this book at the library and didn't really pay to much attention although the title is interesting. It sounds good, and I am glad you recommended it. I will look into it next time I see it :) Your Toby is so cute :D

    ReplyDelete