Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mini Reviews: Witch Eyes and Unraveling Isobel

Yep, it's time for more mini reviews, in which I gush about some books I've read recently that I think are awesome but don't come out for awhile, so instead of just holding my thoughts completely, here's the mini version! This edition's gushable books are:

Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey: Awesome characters, awesome writing. Seriously. There is something about Scott's descriptions that just made me go um wow. In a good way, of course. Especially when Braden is using magic? The way he describes all that? It's so different, but still so vivid, and man, talk about bringing magic to life. Then there's the wit and sarcasm that basically oozes off the pages. And not JUST from Braden. Nope, it's not just that one character has all this spunk because that's the character who's head we're in. The wit and snap comes from almost every character, but in different ways with all of them. Then there's just how much I loved basically this entire cast of characters. From very full of energy, flies off the pages, sprightly Riley to more mellow, kind, but still feisty Jade to love interest Trey... Scott really knows how to build his characters, even the small ones, in a way that you WILL remember them. Then there's his story, which definitely is interesting and unique, and you won't be able to really predict too much because frankly, this book is just so nefarious in a lot of ways, and so many curve balls are thrown in that no sooner do you think you have someone figured then BAM, you're wrong. So basically? Preorder this book. You want it.



Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook: Mystery book? Hot brooding boy? Stellar characters? Spunk and sass throughout? Yes, yes, yes and yes. This book kept me gripped from page one. Me: Oh, I'll just read the first chapter. Well, one more won't hurt. Okay fine, I'm reading the whole book. And I did, in two sittings only because I had to go to sleep because my eyes wouldn't let me stay awake anymore. But this book was so fabulous in so many ways. The ghost element weaved in so perfectly, yet the book still had a very contemporary tone that it's easily one of those contemporary books with a supernatural twist that straddle that genre line and appeal perfectly to both sides. Isobel is so hilarious, both in what she says and thinks and has some of the best one liners ever, and Zachary, her brooding but hot step brother, definitely brings his own awesomeness to the table. But most importantly is the mystery, and how well it's all put together, and how the clues are dropped at just the right time so you can piece some of it together but not all, and how even if you think maybe you know some stuff, and maybe you're right, it's still that oh, crap kind of moment when it's fully revealed. And basically, this book was just fantastic and stellar and a total must read.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for Witch Eyes. Thanks for sharing this little review. Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi! I'm not sure if we're fellow followers, but I follow you!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these look great (Witch Eyes's cover kind of creeps me out!) and I can't wait to read them. Unravelling Isobel was already on my wishlist -- I love the cover and it sounds so fantastic. Now, I want it even more!! Thanks for the mini-reviews.
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete