Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Teenage Garage Sale with Kate Hinderer

You know how we all have those random things we collected, intentionally or not, as teens? Some more embarrassing than others? Well today, Aurora Undefined author Kate Hinderer has been kind enough to share her teen things, in the form of what we'd find in a garage sale of items from her teenage years.



Assortment of scented candles – for a while I loved to come home from school after a long day and light every single candle in the room, sit in the dark glowing room and relax.

A dozen used notebooks – kept under my bed in a plastic bin, I saved every note book I ever penned a story in since 7th grade. The collection was huge by the time I went to college.

The Kensington Chronicles by Lori Wick – This is the first historic book series that I read cover to cover in a four-day time span. I devoured those books and fell in love with the characters.

Roller skates with pink wheels and laces – My best friend in grade school and I used to create entire dance routines on our skates. I broke my arm racing her in them. It was hard to pry them off my feet for dinner.

Oversized green wind-breaker – For some reason I wore my mother’s spring coat for almost an entire year, zipping it all the way up to my chin and almost drowning in the mounds of extra material.

CD collection – My first musical selections included I’m mortified to admit I had, and loved, such as Ace of Base, Boyz II Men, Amy Grant, Blues Traveler, Joshua Kadison, Hansen, Savage Garden and REM. Later CDs included Matchbox20, Bon Jovi, Dixie Chicks, Garth Brooks, Back Street Boys, N’Sync and No Doubt.

Hand-painted bird house – One summer my dad cut a bunch of wood to create bird houses and I went to town nailing the pieces together and then painting them to hang in our backyard.

Old issues of Beyond the Tracks – this was the little newspaper I wrote and put out for my friends and neighbors.

Nearly new Barbie Doll – As teenagers, my two sisters and I went through a moment of panic when we realized we were growing up and no longer played with dolls. We went right out and each bought a new Barbie Doll, which we played with for about a week and promptly abandoned.

Coca-Cola paraphernalia – I had a slight addiction to Coca-Cola by the time I hit high school, that was kindly fueled by the generous kids I drove to school. Before long I was collecting old bottles, glasses, tins… pretty much anything with Coca-Cola written on it.

Tacky Tourist memorabilia – As a teenager I went to both Mexico and Italy for several weeks. Upon returning I brought home ridiculous amounts of key chains, fake purses, magnets, picture frames, postcards, pens and t-shirts.


Thank you, Kate, for that look into your teenage years and habits!


2 comments:

  1. LOL--love this. Made me laugh, especially as I thought about what would be in my teen yard sale. Some scary stuff involving Wham! and a small elephant ring holder...
    Happy Reading!
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it wrong that I still have my roller skates (white with purple wheels and laces) and use them on a regular basis?

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete