Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is The Rivals by Daisy Whitney, set to hit shelves February 6, 2012 from Little, Brown.

Summary: When Alex Patrick was assaulted by another student last year, her elite boarding school wouldn’t do anything about it. This year Alex is head of the Mockingbirds, a secret society of students who police and protect the student body. While she desperately wants to live up to the legacy that’s been given to her, she’s now dealing with a case unlike any the Mockingbirds have seen before.

It isn’t rape. It isn’t bullying. It isn’t hate speech. A far-reaching prescription drug ring has sprung up, and students are using the drugs to cheat. But how do you try a case with no obvious victim? Especially when the facts don’t add up, and each new clue drives a wedge between Alex and the people she loves most: her friends, her boyfriend, and her fellow Mockingbirds.

As Alex unravels the layers of deceit within the school, the administration, and even the student body the Mockingbirds protect, her struggle to navigate the murky waters of vigilante justice may reveal more about herself than she ever expected.



My Thoughts: I loved The Mockingbirds, and I adore Daisy's writing. This is one I absolutely cannot wait for this one. Even more? I love that a more intangible crime is being used for the focus of this one, and it's going to build up what is already set up without taking away from the huge messages set forth in the first book. And adding to all this even more is the fact that at least going by the summary, it will still focus very much on Alex, her development, and who she really is, even with everything else going on. I expect this book to be fantastic! As for the cover... I love that it fits with the first book's, and has that same simplicity while still being appealing. The dog makes me think too, especially about loyalty. All in all, I need this book. February is WAY too far away.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before but I love the idea of a secret society student body police force. I'll definitely have to check it out, thanks for featuring it!

    New follower :)
    Andie
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I didn't love Mockingjays, I did enjoy the book and Daisy's writing so I will be on board with this sequel, and I like the "intangible" crime aspect too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read The Mockingbirds (and I'm dying to) and I want to get that along with this one. I've heard nothing but praises for this series, so I'm excited! Great pick!

    Here's my WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read The Mockingbirds, but I really like how the covers relate. Nice pick!

    Here's mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a nice read,,,i do enjoy "YA" every once in awhile if it can hold my interest,,and this sounds like it can...
    thanks for sharing
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting idea! Great pick!

    Paranormal Wastelands' WoW
    http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/06/waiting-on-wednesday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/waiting-on-wednesday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Mockingbirds was such a great read-I can't wait to see what happens in The Rivals. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete