Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Misfit by Jon Skovron, coming August 1 from Amulet Books.

Summary: Jael Thompson has never really fit in. She’s changed schools too many times to count. The only family she’s ever known is her father, a bitter ex-priest who never lets her date and insists she attend the strictest Catholic school in Seattle. And her mother—well, she was a five thousand year old demon. That doesn’t exactly help.

But on her sixteenth birthday, her father gives her a present that brings about some unexpected changes. Some of the changes, like strange and wonderful powers and the cute skater boy with a knack for science, are awesome. But others, like the homicidal demon seeking revenge on her family? Not so much.

Steeped in mythology, this is an epic tale of a heroine who balances old world with new, science with magic, and the terrifying depths of the underworld with the ordinary halls of high school.



My Thoughts: Homicidal demon seeking revenge? Cute skater boy? And a father who's an ex-priest but a demon mother. Oh heck yes, this one looks freaking fantastic! First, I really want to know what the present is that brings this stuff, and I also want to know how it ends up playing out. This one seems like it's going to have a bunch of totally unexpected twists and turns, and I so want to see how Jon manipulates the mythology. Not to mention... does Jael actually stay good, or does she go all demon? And is being a demon really so bad? I don't know, but I want to. As for the cover, I adore the font, and love even more that it's in red. It's creepy and hinting at something dark, but is still appealing. The cloudiness, too, adds to a fantastic eerie overall effect that I definitely think fits with the description. Bring on the half-demon please!

16 comments:

  1. What an amazing cover. There isn't "people" on it but just the words alone draw my eye. Love it!

    You can find my WOW here - The Bookish Snob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds soooo good I wish August wasn't so far away.
    Great pick.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like the sound of this one! I'll have to add it to my to-read list. :D

    My pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds very exciting. Love it! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide if I'd be into this one! I've seen it all over... but I'm torn!


    New follower!

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting storyline. I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh that does sound very interesting! Will have to remember this one!

    Here's my WoW

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really interesting. Definitely putting that on my list of books that I want to read. :)

    Carina

    What I'm waiting for

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have heard about this before, looks good, good wow,

    the Book Mystress, xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misfit sounds really, really interesting! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so good. I will have to look into getting this one when its released. You can see my WOW here: http://justnookit.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-4.html

    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Homicidal demon had me sold.

    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of this one. Sounds really interesting. I'll have to had this to my list.

    Here is my WOW

    http://guiltypleasuresreviews.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover draws you in, nice pick.

    stop and see mine and my giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pick! Sounds really good, so I'm adding it on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete