Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

This week's pick is Lie by Caroline Bock, coming August 30 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Summary: A gripping and incredibly important story about a tight-knit town torn apart by a vicious hate crime.  
Everybody knows, nobody’s talking… Seventeen year-old Skylar Thompson is being questioned by the police.  Her boyfriend Jimmy stands accused of brutally assaulting two young El Salvadoran immigrants from a neighboring town, and she's the prime witness.  Skylar is keeping quiet about what she's seen, but how long can she keep it up?  Jimmy was her savior.  When her mother died, he was the only person who made her feel safe, protected from the world.  But when she begins to appreciate the enormity of what has happened, especially when Carlos Cortez, the victim's brother, steps up to demand justice, she starts to have second thoughts about protecting him.  Jimmy's accomplice, Sean, is facing his own moral quandary. He's out on bail and has been offered a plea in exchange for testifying against Jimmy.  Sean must decide whether or not to turn on his friend in order to save himself.  But most importantly, both must figure out why they followed someone like Jimmy—someone who bullied people and advocated violence against others—in the first place.   


My Thoughts: I really love that this one is set against a hate crime in a small town, yet has so many more layers and aspects to it. From the different personal sides to the overall interwoven story, this one just sounds absolutely stunning and gripping. I want to know more about Jimmy, why he is like he is and if he can realize the horrors of it. I want to know what Sean chooses and why. I want to see what Skylar goes through, and I think her struggle especially, watching Jimmy go through all this and seeing the good in him overlapping all the rest will just be absolutely poignant. And this cover is so simple, almost innocent, yet the font itself hints at the darker, rougher stuff. The two have a nice back and forth, and it makes me wonder more about this girl staring down, and what kind of things she's endured.

13 comments:

  1. I just had this features on my WoW last week. I agree with your thoughts about it. Sounds like a powerful book actually. Great pick! :)

    Here are my WoW picks for this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is new book for me.

    Skylar, she's got a good name. What a dilemma. No wonder she kept quite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm anxiously waiting to read this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing. Definitely love the multiple perspectives. Can't wait to read it!

    Here's my WoW post, please check it out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard of this one, but must admit I like her name! It's very unique!

    Here's my WoW

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful WOW pick! I hadn't heard of this one until now, but it sounds like an intriguing story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great read. I will have to look more into it! :D Happy Reading! My WoWs:

    Butterfly Feet Walking on Life
    For the L♥ve of Reading

    -- Zakiya LadyWings

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is definitely on my list too. It sounds like it's going to be a great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good WOW Kari!

    here's mine:http://www.onceuponatwilight.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday-divergent.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo I've never heard of this book but it really does sound fantastic. I really do think that the hate crime scenario in small towns really does well in writing. Love the situation and I think it sounds amazing...gonna have to go and check it out myself ;) Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. This sounds fantastic. I haven't heard of it before seeing your post, so thank you for sharing.

    Melissa @ SheShines

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it does sound wonderful, and your comments, especially on the cover, were interesting. I wouldn't have thought about how they contrasted the font to the picture itself, though I do love that font.... how did you hear about this one?

    ReplyDelete